Concept-Based Inquiry In ActionHannover, Germany: 2nd-6th of April, 2018 - 8:30 am - 3:00 p.m. Target Audience: K-12 Educators
Rachel French and Carla Marschall have developed a model of Concept-Based Inquiry to promote transferable understanding. During this week-long workshop, Rachel will utilize the model to unpack how students develop conceptual understanding and what this looks like in the classroom.
Over the course of the week, you will focus on both the written curriculum drawing on the Unit Design steps developed by Dr. Lynn Erickson and Dr. Lois Lanning. As well as, the taught curriculum delving into a toolbox of strategies developed by Rachel French and Carla Marshall. You will have the opportunity to consider how specific instructional strategies can enhance units you are currently teaching. You will leave with a bank of strategies that can be implemented in their classroom and a completed unit planner so you can immediately put your new learning into action.
You will participate in mini-lessons and learning experiences to explore each phase of the model. Video clips of Concept-Based Inquiry filmed in classrooms around the world will be shared to illustrate key strategies.
Rachel will facilitate exploration of questions such as:
- How do students acquire concepts?
- How is concept formation different from developing generalizations?
- How can we design instruction to achieve synergistic thinking between the factual and conceptual levels?
- What instructional strategies support conceptual thinking?
- What does Concept-Based Inquiry look like in the classroom?
- What role does the classroom environment have in fostering a culture of conceptual thinking?
Rachel French is an experienced IB educator and will make connections between Concept-Based Inquiry and the IB Programmes.
Rachel French, MA Ed, is a certified Independent Concept-Based consultant, presenter and trainer with Dr Lynn Erickson and Dr Lois Lanning. She is the Director of Professional Learning International (PLI) founded to support international schools to access leading professional development. Rachel is also the sole provider of the annual “Dr H Lynn Erickson and Dr Lois A. Lanning Certification Institute for Concept-based Curriculum and Instruction Trainers and Presenters.”
Rachel French, Dr Lynn Erickson and Dr Lois Lanning co-authored the second edition of “Concept-Based Curriculum and Instruction for the Thinking Classroom”, published by Corwin, February 2017. Rachel is currently working on a second book and video series “Concept-Based Inquiry in Action” with her colleague Carla Marschall, due to be published April 2018.
Rachel has presented numerous workshops in Europe and Asia, and she has presented on Concept-Based Learning at the AEM International Baccalaureate Conferences and the AGIS conference (Association of German International Schools). Rachel works as a consultant supporting schools to plan and implement Concept-Based Units. She also coaches and provides feedback to teams of teachers on curriculum development. Rachel is experienced in aligning Concept-Based Curriculum material and the IB programmes.
- 5-day workshop – €950 per participant – Registration closes 18th of March 2018.
- Group Discount Rate (5+ participants) – €800 per participant – Registration closes 18th of March 2018.
- Early Bird discount on sale until 31st December 2017 – €850 per participant.
- Late Registration Processing Fee applies from 18th of March – 2nd April €50 per participant.
You may register online and make a payment by credit card or request an invoice online.
The workshop fee includes lunch and a coffee break each day.
Important Booking Information
This workshop will run subject to reaching a minimum number of participants. Please do not book your travel until you have received confirmation.
We do not refund fees. However, you may send a different participant from your school in your place if necessary. If this occurs, please email workshop organizers to inform them (email@example.com).
Professional Learning International reserves the right to cancel the workshop in the event of any unforeseen circumstances. Professional Learning International will not be responsible for any expenses relating to your travel if the workshop is rescheduled or canceled, please be sure to take out travel insurance. In the event of rescheduling or cancellation, Professional Learning International will issue a refund of the workshop fee.
This Workshop is hosted by: International School Hannover Region
The school campus is near the centre of the city behind the historic Rathaus (Town Hall) in an area adjacent to the picturesque Maschsee.
The school is easy to reach both by public transport and by car.
- Arriving by Underground from the Main Train Station (Hauptbahnhof)
- Should you be coming from the train station and wish to get to the school, you can travel via underground (U-Bahn).
- You will need to take the elevator / escalator to the underground stop in the train station (signs posted).
- Take the no. 3 or 7 in the direction of Wettbergen or the no. 9 in the direction of Empelde.
- Get off at the third stop at “Waterlooplatz”.
- Go up to the street level following the signs in the underground for Waterloostrasse and/or the AWD Arena.
- Follow along the Waterloostr. (left hand side) towards the stadium (AWD arena) until the school is on your left side (approx. 500mtrs.) directly across the street from the fair grounds (Schützenplatz)
Arthur-Menge-Ufer 3 Hannover 30169
Willy Brandt-Allee 3, 30169 Hannover
Ferdinand-Wilhelm-Fricke-Weg 1, 30169 Hanover